Healthy Eye Exam
Your eyes need a regular check-up just like the rest of your body does. In fact, your eye health can actually tell you a lot about your overall health.
What to Expect During a Healthy Eye Exam
During a healthy eye exam, our doctors’ number one goal is to listen. Do you have any concerns? Do you have any questions? Throughout the exam, the doctor will be educating you on what he or she is doing and why, so that you can be more informed and better able to help in the decision making process should they uncover a problem.
Here’s just a quick look at what you and the doctor may be discussing during a healthy eye exam:
- External eye health related to lids, lashes and tears
- Internal eye health related to retina, macula, iris and other parts of the eye
- Refraction test results to determine what power prescription you’ll need for glasses or contacts
- Eye focus tests for reading and sustained near work
- Eye pressure test results to determine if you have or are at risk for glaucoma
- Eye muscle control and coordination studies related to lazy eye and other conditions
Over the course of the exam, your doctor will also be on the lookout for a number of eye conditions and diseases, including but not limited to:
What to Expect After a Healthy Eye Exam
If the doctor uncovered any areas of concern, he or she will walk you through a discussion of your options to address it. You may also return for a follow-up visit. If your eyes are healthy, then we’ll help you to schedule your next regular exam to ensure that your good health continues.